expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Even though you don't have to chew, it still has calories.

I like to have Green Monster smoothies for my morning snack. And even though my smoothies usually include real food items such as half a banana, frozen fruit, and two handfuls of spinach, I still don't feel like it's a snack unless I have something to eat. Preferably something crunchy.

I suspect many of us operate under the convenient delusion that "drinks don't count" when it comes to calories. That's probably the reason so many of us are guzzling sodas, lattes, and purple slushies from Sonic without a second thought.

A few weeks ago someone sent me a link to the "20 Unhealthiest Drinks in America" published by Men's Health. You can read all the gory details here, but here are a few highlights.
  • Worst Soda: Sunkist.
    190 calories, 52 grams of sugar
  • Worst Energy Drink: Rockstar Original
    280 calories, 62 grams of sugar
  • Worst Blended Fruit Drink: Baskin-Robbins Pomegranate Banana Fruit Blast Smoothie
    1,020 calories, 232 grams sugar

    And the worst drink in America is (drumroll, please):
  • The Baskin-Robbins Large Heath Bar Shake
    2,310 calories, 108 grams of fat, 266 grams sugar
Picture 66 teaspoons of sugar. That's how much sugar is in that shake. It would take 240 minutes on a treadmill at moderate pace to burn that sucker off.

If you are trying to lose weight, take a look at what you drink. A few hundred calories here and there could mean the difference between staying under your calorie limit or surpassing it.

I try to limit my liquid consumption to water, milk, green tea, and, of course, Shakeology!

Workout of the Day
Light jog and bike ride


No comments:

Post a Comment