expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My 100th Post!

Wow! Today marks the 100th post on Smells Like Fitness. In the past seven months, I can honestly say that I have not struggled to find something pertinent to write about. If anything, reflecting on and writing about fitness has only fueled my interest in the subject. It also helps that this blog combines all the things I like to do: write, cook, and exercise.

In honor of the big day, I want to do something special to say thanks to my little bunch of loyal readers. It's a giveaway, and it has something to do with my favorite (and most important) meal of the day: breakfast! I like it so much, sometimes I have it for dinner, too.

Read on for more details!

**********

When it comes to breakfast, you can't go wrong with oatmeal. Great fiber, vitamins, protein, the whole bit. But if you want a great oatmeal -- I mean a really great oatmeal, the Cadillac of oatmeals -- you want some steel cut oats. 
"Steel-cut oats are whole grain groats (the inner portion of the oat kernel) which have been cut into only two or three pieces by steel rather than being rolled. They are golden in color and resemble small rice pieces. 
Steel-cut oats are also known as coarse-cut oats, pinhead oats, or Irish oats. This form of oats takes longer to prepare than instant or rolled oats due to its minimal processing, typically 15–30 minutes to simmer (much less if pre-soaked). The flavor of the cooked oats is described as being nuttier than other types of oats, and they are also chewier."  -- Wikipedia

(What? What's wrong with Wikipedia? If it's from Wikipedia, you know it's true!)


Here's how steel cut oats look up close:


And here's how they look in a big bowl mixed with blueberries, strawberries, raisins, and almonds...delicious!


I can confirm at least one thing in the Wikipedia article: steel cut oats take about 30 minutes to cook. Not exactly conducive to a quick breakfast before you run out the door. So here's what I do: one evening a week I cook a big batch and put it in the refrigerator. The next morning I add milk, microwave, add toppings, and I'm good to go. 

Steel cut oats are so filling that  I don't find myself getting hungry until about 10:30 or 11 on the days I eat these. And they're really tasty!

*********

Back to the giveaway! In honor of Smells Like Fitness' 100th post, I'm giving away a breakfast of champions package that will include:

 - One bag of Bob's Red Mill Organic Steel Cut Oats
- A half dozen of my (almost) world-famous Flax Everything Muffins
- An individual packet of Shakeology in the flavor of your choice -- chocolate or greenberry
- One Shakeology shaker cup

It's a prize package worth...like, $16 or something! (You'll have to cut me a break...my Beachbody business is still pretty new.)

Please note that the breakfast of champions package should not be eaten in one fell swoop. Break it up...steel cut oats one morning, Shakeology another morning, maybe a muffin for a snack. Be creative, but conservative. No need to eat it all at once!

Here's what you need to do to enter for the prize:

If you are a Facebook user, visit the Smells Like Fitness Facebook Page (be sure to click the "Like" button at the top), and leave me a comment that answers this question:

"What did you have for breakfast today?"

If you're not a Facebook user, you can comment here on the blog. 

You have until Friday at noon Central time to leave your comment. Then I'll transfer all the names to a spreadsheet and have one of my lovely children point to a name on the spreadsheet (they can't read, so it's fair). That lucky person will be the winner!

Everyone is eligible for this prize. Even my Mom and sister, since I'm sure they make up a good percentage of my readership.

The winner will be announced here next Monday morning.

*********
Workout of the Day
P90X One on One: On One Leg

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I cook my steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight. 1 cup of water to 6-7 cups of oats. Water will depend on how hot your crockpot cooks. Cook on low all night and they are perfect the next morning. Angie C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan,

    My breakfast this morning was thanks to you from your protein post this week. I had two egg whites & a piece of wheat toast with peanut butter. Yum!

    I am going to have to find a healthy place for us to eat when you are here this summer! : )

    Kate

    ReplyDelete