expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Deep Thought Tuesday

Some housekeeping before the post today:

We're up to 4 people who are joining us on the RevAbs Challenge starting April 2! Hooray! Are you thinking about joining us too? Just do it...It'll be fun!

Secondly, since the title of this post is "Deep Thought Tuesday," I just had to take a moment to comment on the dignity and grace with which the Japanese people are handling the hellish chaos they are enduring right now. I saw an elderly man offering what little food he had in the world to Diane Sawyer as she stopped by to interview him, and it broke my heart. It makes what most of us are dealing with on a day-to-day basis in America seem so very small.
***********
OK, back to the post.

As I've mentioned previously, Beachbody encourages its coaches to follow what's called The Game Plan, a ten-point business plan that includes a commitment to personal development through books and audio.

Since becoming a coach, I've made an effort to take a step back from my usual Twilight-esque fare and include some personal development books in my reading repertoire. It's been a good change, and I've come across some really thought-provoking things that I want to share today. It's applicable to health, fitness, and life in general.


Don't wish it were easier; wish you were better.   - Jim Rohn
This really struck me when I read it. So often we wish things were easier. If exercising was easier, then I'd do it. If buying and preparing nutritious food was easier, then I'd do it. If my boss didn't put unreasonable deadlines on me, then I could do it.

But here's the thing: "the thing" is what it is. It's an inanimate object or task, and it's not changing. But you know what can change? You. Your attitude. Your work ethic. Your habits. That is the only thing you can control. The task will never be easier, but you can be better.

The Paradoxical Commandments - Kent Keith
I came across this in a book I'm reading right now called The 8th Habit by Stephen Covey. To be honest, much of this book is over my head. But there are some insights that are really valuable, especially to people in a leadership position (whether that's in your job or in your family).

The Paradoxical Commandments were drafted in 1968 by a 19-year-old Harvard sophomore in a booklet for high school student leaders. To me, it's the essence of what people who are trying to live well and do good are sure to encounter. It's validation and encouragement rolled into one.


The Paradoxical Commandments
People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be
shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight.
Build anyway.

People really need help but may attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have and you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.


And finally, a quote from Stephen Covey in The 8th Habit:
"Setbacks are inevitable; misery is a choice."

*********
Workout of the Day
P90X One on One Volume 3: Shoulders and Arms
Never have my shoulders been so sore from a workout that includes two exercises where the max weight I use is 2.5 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment