expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened at the Grocery Store Today...

I did my regularly-scheduled grocery shopping this morning, coupled with a little stocking shopping and last-minute "Ooh I totally need that" Christmas shopping.

There were a few more checkers working this morning due to the holiday rush, and I happened to choose one I didn't know. (And I do know them, usually, and I am selective. I've been known to be halfway pulled in a lane and see Delores*, and then back my cart right back out again. Delores has some issues with the cloth grocery bags I use. Is that cranky of me? Probably so.)

Anyway, I didn't know this lady. But I sure do now! Cause I spent (no exaggeration) 25 minutes in her line. At first I thought it wasn't her fault, but by the time I was in no-man's land (you know, half your items up on the belt and half still in your cart), I found out the truth: Carla was new. Carla was slow.

I told the lady behind me to save herself.

No, not really, but I'm sure she could see it in my eyes.

I've already told you that the Wal-mart checkers hate me, and today was no different. I had a pile of produce, and checking out was more painful than ever because Carla: a) does not know her produce and b) does not know her produce codes. She had to look up every single thing.

Now here's the funny part.

When she got to the beets (I'm making roasted root veggies again on Saturday with Christmas dinner), she looked up at me with a puzzled look and said, "What are these? Radishes?"

"Nope, beets," I said. "Hmm," she said, scanning her produce cheat sheet again. After a few seconds, she turns to her fellow checker behind her and says, "Do you know the code for beets?" The other girl thought for a second and said, "No. Nobody buys beets." As the words were coming out of her mouth she looked at me and gave me a laugh that said, "um, please don't be offended! I don't mean that you're weird or anything! Promise! And also? Enjoy your beets." A few of the other customers nearby heard the exchange and laughed about it, too.

At that point I craned my neck over the counter, scanned the produce cheat sheet, found the beets and pointed them out to Cindy. "See?" I said. "I have great vision 'cause I eat my beets!"

* Names have been changed to protect the incompetence innocence of the checkers.




Workout of the Day:
P90X One on One Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment