expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Nutrition Tip of the Week: Negating the Positives

This weekend I had the pleasure of hosting a Shakeology table at the Lion's Dash 5K, a small charity run for a Christian school in Rockwall, Texas. It was a great morning for a run, and about 40 people gathered to raise money for the school.

I met some really nice people and was able to tell them a bit about Shakeology, P90X, and some other Beachbody products.

It was super windy!
After the runners crossed the finish line, they were directed to the hospitality table, where there was water, oranges, bananas, and...about 15 Cici's pizzas. Wah waaaaah.

"Seriously?" I thought. "Cici's pizzas? At 8:30 in the morning? Pizza?" All those people got themselves out of bed, drove to the race, ran 3.1 miles, and then quite a few of them ate a slice or two of pizza, negating any good they may have done by exercising that morning.

Over the past few years I have learned that fitness is about 20% what you do and 80% what you eat. You can exercise till you're blue in the face, but if you shove a few pieces of pizza down your pie hole when you're done, you may as well have just sat on the couch.

We have a long way to go in understanding good nutrition in this country, but you would think a 5K event would give credence to the importance of healthy eating. I guess it's time to go back to the drawing board.

**********
Workout of the Day - The RevAbs Challenge has begun!

Yesterday we kicked things off with Total Strength and Mercy Abs, and this morning was Fire Up Your Abs. So far, I really like this program. Despite its ab-centric title, this is a full-body workout. Total Strength had lunges, squats, and cardio. Today we were holding a lot of planks, doing some interval cardio work, and some ab work. 

The one thing this program doesn't have is pull ups. Zach and I don't want to lose our pull up muscles while we're on the RevAbs Challenge, so we found an online program called 7 Weeks to 50 Pull-ups.

The program consists of five sets of pull-ups of varying number performed three days per week. Do I really think that I will be able to do 50 pull-ups at the end of seven weeks? Um, probably not. But maybe I could do 20? Who knows...I'm going to give it a try and see what happens. If Zach or I get into the 25 to 30 pull-ups at a time range, I will be posting a video as proof of our feat!

No comments:

Post a Comment