expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday Nutrition Tip of the Week:To Dairy, or Not To Dairy

That is the question I asked myself once my 30 day servitude without dairy was complete.

Giving up dairy wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be (except the time I caved in and had homemade ice cream - I'm not a machine!). Almond and coconut milk taste really good, and I started mixing both my steel cut oats and Shakeology with just water -- two changes that I have decided to keep if only because it conserves milk (no matter the variety).

While I did lose three pounds during The Asylum, I attribute that mostly to the butt-kicking workouts. People who are lactose intolerant but do not know it often say that cutting out dairy makes them feel less bloated. I can't say that I felt less bloat, or less stomach irritation -- and when I did have the aforementioned ice cream, my stomach didn't revolt as if it had suddenly been invaded by a now foreign substance. So I guess it's safe to say my lactose tolerance is in the "acceptable" range.

While there is no doubt that one shouldn't sit around eating cheese all day, I can see some definite benefits to non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese. The casein protein in cottage cheese makes it a perfect bedtime snack because it is digested more slowly by the body, and yogurt is an awesome breakfast meal and a great substitute for mayo in many recipes. (Not to mention it's crucial to the tanginess/smoothness in my hummus. I have missed it there.)

So for these reasons, I am reconciling with dairy. Almond and coconut milk will still have their place in my fridge, but they will have to peacefully co-exist with the containers of skim milk, cottage cheese, and yogurt.

Probably the most important thing I learned in this exercise is that I am physically capable of removing something from my diet. So many people say, "I just have to have my Diet Coke!" or "If I don't have my morning coffee I'll just die!" Who's in charge there? The person, or the food? There is something liberating about showing yourself that you can conquer something if you put your mind to it. Show 'em who's boss now and again, and then make a sound decision based on your personal experience.

*********
Workout of the Day
P90X Chest and Back

Oh, my. Will this workout ever NOT be hard? It's been several months since we have done C&B, and I am not in shape for it. My shoulders and back are already sore, and it hasn't even been 12 hours. Tomorrow will be scary!


No comments:

Post a Comment