expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Where should you begin?

I'm well aware that Zach and I are a bit...shall I say fanatical?...about working out. Dedicated. Hard core. A smidgen crazy, perhaps? We've worked ourselves to a point where if we're not hurting, we're not working. It took awhile to get here, but that's where we are.

But what if you are just starting out? Does Beachbody have programs designed for people who aren't in shape...yet? Absolutely. I don't talk about them enough here, but I want to let you guys know that there is life outside of P90X/Insanity: The Asylum. There are some fantastic programs out for virtually any skill level and desired time commitment.

Here is a handy document that shows all of Beachbody's programs -- click on the tabs at the top to find out which programs fit in each category.

And here are my picks for the best "beginner" Beachbody programs. These are all available through my website (just click on "Shop"), and I will be your free fitness coach to help you commit to and succeed with the program!

1) The Shakeology Workouts

If you're coming off a long stint on the couch and have a bit of weight to lose (or if you're a little older, like my Mom*, and haven't done much resistance training), I highly recommend the Shakeology workouts...and I also recommend drinking Shakeology. These workouts come free with your first shipment of Shakeology when you order on "Autoship." There is a 30-minute workout and a 50-minute workout that is a great mix of strength training and cardio. You'll  replace one meal a day with Shakeology, and do the 30-minute workout twice a week and the 50-minute once a week. This one will jump start you into another program perfectly!

2) Body Gospel

I did Body Gospel with a Fit Club at church, and it is a great beginner program that mixes cardio, strength, and flexibility, and it also has a really easy meal plan. Donna Richardson Joyner is a great trainer who is a super motivator...and in one video she wears high-heeled silver tennis shoes. What more can you ask for? Workouts are 25-50 minutes long.

She's so cute.
3) 10 Minute Trainer



You can't tell me you don't have 10 minutes a for yourself. Get up 15 minutes earlier than usual, pop one of these DVDs in and get your workout done in 10 minutes before your shower. Heck, take 20 minutes and do two of them. 

4) Slim in 6

Slim in 6 with Debbie Siebers has been around for quite awhile, and that's cause it works! Once again, it's a program that combines cardio and strength (anyone sensing a pattern here?). It's a six-week program, hence the "6". I have not done any of these workouts, but I hear great things about them all the time. Workouts are 25-50 minutes long.

5) Power 90
If you have visions of completing P90X, but are not quite there yet, you need to start with Power 90. It's the precursor to P90X, and it will get you ready to graduate to a more difficult program. It's a 90-day, circuit-training program with workouts that are 35-45 minutes long.

And don't forget that all year long you can enter The Beachbody Challenge.  Pick a program, take your "before" pictures, then complete the program. Take your "after" to show everyone how hot you've become. Then win $100,000 and live happily ever after. The end! (Well, there's a little more to it than that. But it could happen!)

(Random aside: Have I ever told you about how silly Zach and I feel for not taking our "before" P90X pictures? We were all, "That's so dumb. We're not taking pictures." Hellloooohhh?! That was so stupid. Why in the world didn't we take pictures?)

* Did you like how I put that, Mom? A little older!

********
Workout of the Day
Insanity: The Asylum - Vertical Plyo

I'm playing on a rec league volleyball team right now, and last night we had a double header. It ended up being eight tightly-contested games that didn't wrap up until after 10pm. Way after my bedtime! Plus I didn't fall asleep to easily when I got home, so I was very tired this morning.

Then as I was doing double under jump ropes, my rope his the florescent light above me and it shattered, sending glass down onto me and everywhere in the shop. It was reminiscent of, but way less glamorous than "Flashdance." 


No comments:

Post a Comment