expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 22, 2011

The first of 13

Dear Drew,

Today is your first day of Kindergarten.


You are smart and funny. You are equal parts conscientious and wacky. You wake to an alarm clock and arrive in the kitchen five minutes later fully dressed, asking for a mix of Cheerios, Honey Nut Flakes, and Bran Buds for your breakfast.

You were born 13 days late, with a head full of hair.


It was worth the wait.

For the first 18 months of your life I worked and you went to day care. It was hard.


Then we moved, and I got the chance to stay home with you.


It has been the greatest privilege of my life.


Your sister and I will miss you terribly when you are at school. I can't tell Kate the proper way to build a Lego tower like you can. And who will give me the daily report of Sesame Street's letter and number of the day?


Your Dad and I have always planned on me going back to work when you and your sister go to school. But about a year ago I signed up to be a Team Beachbody Coach and started spreading the word about how exercise and eating good food can keep you healthy and strong -- just like we always tell you at home. A lot of people don't know about that, and because of it your generation is the first in a long, long time that is not expected to live as long as their parents. I don't like that, and want to change it.


Sometimes I go to meetings for my Beachbody business, and they always ask me to find a good reason why I want to make my business work. "What is your why?" they ask.

Spending this past summer at home with you and Kate has solidified my "Why." I want this business to work because I want to work from home. I want to see you off to school, and be here when you get back. I want the flexibility to go on field trips with you and to stop what I'm doing at a moment's notice to pick you up if you get sick -- without aggravating my co-workers and boss. I want to cook healthy meals for dinner, pack them up, and cart all three of us up to school to eat dinner with Dad when he has to work late.

I also want to help people find the best in themselves. I want to help people achieve things they thought weren't possible. So many people are suffering from the effects of bad food and a sedentary lifestyle, and I want to show them that growing older doesn't automatically mean you have to be overweight and medicated. We are stronger than we think.

If there is even the slightest chance that I can be successful in this business, I will find it. It may not be easy, and it may not be quick, but things that are worth having never are.

Drew, today is your first of 13 "First Day of Schools." I plan on being there for every one.


You are going to be an awesome Kindergartner.

Love,
Mama

*********
Workout of the Day
Insanity: The Asylum - Back to Core


No comments:

Post a Comment