expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Get Shredded with Shaun T

One of the main reasons I like Beachbody fitness programs so much is because they always include a meal plan. The nutrition aspect of fitness is so critical, and often it's the part that people don't get quite right. I estimate that the food you eat will account for about 80% of the success you do -- or don't -- have with a workout program.

Insanity: The Asylum's nutrition plan is called "Get Shredded: Shaun T's 14-day plan for getting ripped." It's a small booklet jam-packed with great recipes and tips.
Here are the 10 tips Shaun T lives by when it comes to nutrition (paraphrased, then my comments in italics): 
  1. Eat Frequently
    At least 5 to 6 smaller meals per day. Check! I'm already doing that.
  2. Go Light at Night
    Shaun recommends having your largest meal in the morning, with each meal after that progressively smaller. Your last meal of the day is the lightest and smallest.  Oops. I generally have a pretty large (albeit healthy) dinner. Maybe I could count my handful of cereal or almonds after dinner as my smallest meal of the day? Fat chance.
  3. Limit Your Portions
    If you're eating 5 meals per day, you must watch your portion size. These aren't 5 "all you can eat" meals we're talking about. With the exception of dinner, I think I do well with portion size.

  4. Eat Lean
    Eat foods that are full of lean protein, fruits, veggies, and healthy fats. They're so tasty, you won't believe how good they are for you. I'm a believer! In the past six months or so we've gathered a bunch of recipes that incorporate tons of veggies and lean protein. I'm enjoying eating more than I ever have. Seriously!
  5. Carbs are Cool
    Shaun could never get through workouts without carbs. But to get shredded, he recommends eating carbs and starches earlier in the day, rather than your last two meals. He also suggests choosing whole grains instead of white carbs. I'm no carb Nazi. I eat them early and often, even for dinner. I may need to take a look at this rule to see if I can incorporate it into our routine.
  6. Avoid Dairy


    Shaun T chooses to avoid cheese and dairy. If you can't live without it, at least try eliminating it for 14 days. Shaun thinks you might never go back. I have never been against dairy, and think that there are a lot of benefits to be had from cottage cheese and yogurt. However, I'm willing to have a trial separation with dairy to see if I can indeed live without it. I have not had milk or cheese in 9 days, and while I have not really missed it, I can't say that I'm gaining much by NOT having it, either. I plan to go at least 30 days without dairy and then re-assess the situation. I am certainly benefiting from the lack of saturated fat from the cheese slices I like to steal from the kids.

  7. Hydrate!
    Drink water! A no-brainer. I could still do better with my water consumption.
  8. Limit Alcohol
    Shaun occasionally has a glass of red wine with dinner, but he limits his consumption and never imbibes before a shoot. That's an easy one -- I never want to face Shaun T with a hangover.
  9. Don't Fear Fat!
    Obviously, avoid butter and cheese, as they are high in saturated fat. However, there are lots of foods that are high in fat but very good for you, like avocado. You betcha! I eat an avocado more days of the week than not. 
  10. Supplements
    Shaun's customers love Results & Recovery Formula and claim its critical to their success. Drink it immediately after the workout to refuel. I agree; recovery formula helps put back the glycogen stores that you lost during an intense workout. This will help you recover quicker and reduce soreness. We also use whey protein powder and Shakeology to supplement our nutrition. 
Zach and I are really trying to follow a strict nutrition plan for the 30 days of Asylum to see if we can get the best results possible. It will be difficult considering the 4th of July barbecues that we are scheduled to attend, but if that means we plan our own meals, then we plan our own meals. I think it will be worth it to see how far we've come in one month's time.

***********
Workout of the Day
Asylum: Strength

I am loving this program so far. While we never completed the first Insanity program, we did do a few of the DVDs. I remember thinking, "Geez, I hate this and would not want to do it for 60 days" the entire time. Some people are hard-core cardio lovers -- I am not one of them. I am a firm believer that muscle burns fat, so I'd much rather be doing some curls or shoulder presses than running myself into the ground. So far Asylum is a perfect blend of cardio, strength, and plyometrics. 

2 comments:

  1. I Love the workout programs I have done which are P90x,and TurboFire. I am currently doing Les Mills Pump...I am In LOVE!!!! I love building Lean muscle and it is deff. making a huge difference in my other activities like running and swimming :) I am now trying to eat very clean and Healthy

    ReplyDelete