expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Yes.

I've been thinking a lot lately about the word "yes."

A simple, three-letter word that opens doors or closes them. If you think about it "yes" runs concurrently with "no," because by saying yes to one thing you are automatically saying no to another.

It's sad because in some ways we throw our yeses around so flippantly.

"Yes, I will commit one hour of my week to The Bachelor."
(Possible flip sides to that yes: No, I will not play a game with my kids; No, I won't read a book; No, I won't go to bed a little earlier so I can get up and work out early tomorrow.)

As a Beachbody coach I spend a lot of time asking people to say "yes" to taking care of themselves by exercising and eating well. If you ask most people if they should do these things, of course they will say yes. Ask them to actually commit to it? Brace yourself for the storm of "if, but, when, and it's too expensive."

What is it that keeps us from saying yes? Fear, most likely. Fear of change. Fear of commitment. Fear of rejection. Fear of failure. Fear of leaving the comfy confines of the comfortable for the strange and foreboding uncomfortable.

Three years ago I said yes when Zach asked if I wanted to do P90X with him. I was scared of push ups, scared of pull ups, scared of 5am.

One year ago I said yes to becoming a Beachbody Coach. I was scared because getting into a business like this really wasn't my style. Scared of what people would think. Scared of taking a stand.

Sometimes we can't foresee the unintended consequences of our yes when we make the decision. Sometimes there is freedom in commitment.

Because I said yes to P90X I am in better shape now than when I was a three-sport athlete in high school.

Because I said yes to being a coach I'm bringing home $500 to $700 a month, which is enough to warrant me staying home to see if I can build on my success. I've met new people who are positive influences in my life. I've read books that impact the way I interact with my husband and kids. My husband and I have a unified purpose and are on the same team (no small feat for nine years of marriage).

Saying yes brought new life to my life.

I could have said no. Lots of people do.

What should you say yes to in your life? Can you let go of the fear, the excuses, the baggage? Can stop saying yes to things that don't matter so that you can say yes to things that do?

***************
Workout of the Day
P90X2  P.A.P. Upper


 

No comments:

Post a Comment