expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, January 23, 2012

Easy Homemade Muesli

Ya'll, this P90X2 Nutrition Guide has knocked my (yoga) socks off. It was worth buying this fitness program just for all the fantastic recipes. This weekend I made some Herbed Vegetable Soup that I'll post later this week. It was chalk-full of vegetables and flavor, and marked the first time I have ever cooked brussels sprouts.

One morning last week I fixed the Homemade Muesli from the "breakfasts" portion of the guide.

According to Wikipedia, my valued source for information about everything from breakfast cereals to obscure '80s pop stars:
Muesli was introduced around 1900 by the Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Benner for patients in his hospital, where a diet rich in fresh fruit and vegetables was an essential part of therapy. It was inspired by a similar "strange dish" that he and his wife had been served on a hike in the Swiss Alps...Muesli in its modern form became popular in western countries starting in the 1960s as part of increased interest in health food and vegetarian diets.Traditional muesli was eaten with orange juice and not milk.

You can buy Muesli mix at many health food stores, but it's kind of expensive. This version uses regular rolled oats, apples, yogurt, and some other yummy and readily-available stuff.

Here's the recipe:

Homemade Muesli
Serves 2
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup low fat milk; fruit juice; or almond, soy, or rice milk (I used rice milk)
- 1 apple (chopped fine or grated)
- 2 TB chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (my own addition)

1. Combine rolled oats and milk or juice, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2. In the morning, add grated apple, nuts, yogurt, honey, and cinnamon and mix well.

This is meant to be eaten cold, but I popped mine in the microwave for a little bit to warm it up. I really liked this, and I'm kind of an oatmeal snob. The apples were my favorite part.

Try it tomorrow! Just remember to stick your oats in the fridge later today.

***********
Workout of the Day
Onward and upward! We're into phase two of P90X2 today. Chest, Back, and Balance. It was back to the roots of P90X...push ups and pull ups, push ups and pull ups. 

I'm going to be sore tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment