expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Nutrition Tip of the Week

It's the day after the Super Bowl! Did you eat too much at a party?

We stayed in because we like to actually watch the game (which, we've found, is difficult to do at a party) and ate some barbecue chicken pizza that I made. And then I made some Super Bowl cookies that I had in the freezer. Actually, they weren't "Super Bowl" cookies...they were just cookies that were calling to me from the freezer. So I declared them Super Bowl cookies, and they were eaten quickly. So it wasn't the best day, nutritionally speaking. But that's okay - we need treats now and again to stay sane.

I made an offer to my Beachbody customers this morning that I want to include here, too. If you haven't tried Shakeology yet, but want to, think about trying the Shakeology Cleanse or buying a week's worth of individual packets. I have them on hand and can mail them to you. Here's the lowdown on what the cleanse includes:

  • Cleanse Schedule, including detailed instructions on what/when to eat on the cleanse
  • 9 individual packets of Shakeology
  • 6 green tea bags


The cleanse is $50, plus $6 if I need to mail it to you. And if you want 7 individual packets, it's $35 (plus $5 for shipping). Shoot me a message if you're interested! If you want more info about Shakeology, visit my site: www.shakeology.com/CoachSusanH.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled Nutrition Tip of the Week.

It's kind of a silly tip, but one that can pay dividends in the long run. And that's what this nutrition thing is all about, right? The long run. Simple things you can implement in your life that will impact your health in the long run.

It all started back about four and a half years ago when my son started drinking apple juice. Like all moms, I was warned about how giving your toddler juice meant serious sugar overload and/or non-stop diarrhea. Naturally, I wanted to avoid those things. So I took to diluting his juice to about 85% water and 15% juice (give or take 5%).


Doing this made sure he was drinking mostly water, and also meant I had to buy juice a lot less often. And it also provided another avenue for his grandparents to win "Grandparents of the Year" awards every time he visited their house and got full octane juice.

As he got older (and another juice-loving kid entered the picture), I never got away from diluting the juice. Quite the opposite, in fact. I started diluting my own juice. It just made sense to me - one cup of apple juice has 100 calories and 28 grams of sugar. Why not cut that at least in half? It doesn't taste that different, and after awhile, 100% juice tastes obnoxiously sweet.

It's a simple change that I can live with. I didn't want to cut juice out of my life 100%, but I could but back to 50%. Look for areas where you can cut back or substitute, but still get the satisfaction of eating what you like.

***************
Workout of the Day:
P90X Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.
Today I did 5 plyometric push ups (clap push ups) for the first time! Real ones...not on my knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment