expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, September 1, 2011

It's all in the packaging and other ramblings

Like many parents, I struggle to get my kids to drink water. Even though I hesitate to call the apple juice they get around here "juice" -- it's 2/3 water and 1/3 juice -- they still prefer to drink the brown stuff.

In anticipation of the lunch box packing for Kindergarten, I went to the store and bought small plastic containers for sandwiches and the like, and also invested in about five water bottles of varying color. (I didn't want to do the juice box thing for several reasons: 1. too much sugar, 2. too much trash, 3. too expensive, 4. the jig would be up on my watered down juice thing, and 5. water is better for you anyway.)
Little did I know that the simple act of purchasing fancy new water bottles would revolutionize my kids' attitude about water. They absolutely love these bottles! They ask for them, they drink from them all day, and I haven't heard any comments from Drew that he "only" gets water with his lunch. (I anticipated a few remarks.) Kate asked if she could have juice in them once, and I told her that these are the special bottles only for water, and she was cool with that. 

So the lesson is that sometimes it's all in the presentation. 

********
My Mom told me about a documentary she watched the other week called "Killer at Large" about the obesity epidemic in our country. A quick search on the Internet uncovered a site that was streaming it online, and we watched it a few days ago.

If you ever want to get really fired up and ticked off at the state of food affairs in our nation, you should watch this movie. It's worth it if only to see the woman they refer to as "Militant Lunch Lady" get all kinds of irate about school food. Here's the link to the movie at snagfilms.com: Killer at Large.


*********
My family ate four pounds of baby carrots this week. We may need an intervention. 


*********

P90X2 pre-orders start today! I should have the link ready sometime this afternoon. Order soon to make sure you receive it by Christmas. Note that your credit card won't be charged until the order ships.


**********
Workout of the Day
One on One: Fountain of Youth Yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment