expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, May 9, 2011

Monday Nutrition Tip of the Week: The Financial Edition

My daughter's third birthday is coming up this week, so for a special treat this weekend we took the kids out to breakfast and a movie.

My kids looo-ooove pancakes. Like, love them. Drew can put down four or five adult-size pancakes with no problem, and Kate is right behind him at about three big pancakes. So, the natural choice for breakfast was the celebrated home of grease and carbs, IHOP.


The kids had never been to IHOP, but even I have to admit those are some fine pancakes, so I knew they'd enjoy themselves. Much like when we went to Chili's a few months back (probably the last time we went out to eat), Zach and I scoured the nutritional info before our trip. IHOP has a "Simple & Fit" menu that offers low(er)-calorie items, and we both selected veggie omelettes with egg whites. Well, that was the plan, anyway. When he ordered, Zach neglected to specifically say "Simple & Fit," so his egg white omelette was considerably bigger than mine and came with a side of three pancakes instead of a bowl of fruit. Not a problem, though; I helped him polish off those pancakes.

Where is the nutrition tip, you're probably wondering. Well, there isn't one. There was not much nutritional about that breakfast. There was  a lot of syrup, a lot of white flour, and a lot of overeating.

The tip for this week comes from what came after the meal: the bill. Zach and I both had omelettes -- from the looks of them about four to six egg whites each, Drew had five pancakes, Kate had three. We all drank water. (My favorite comment during the meal came from Drew when the water was set in front of him: "Is water all they have here?" We answered that water was all we were going to have here.) The bill was $31.86.

$31.86!

I could have fixed that meal at home for $5 or less. And I would have splurged and given the kids orange juice. If healthy eating isn't important to you, that's fine. But think about the money that you save when you eat at home! Cooking your own food is economical and more healthy. I know many families who rely on restaurant food several times a week. If you can cut that out just a few times a month, you'll save hundreds of dollars and thousands of calories. Seems like a simple (and fit) choice to me.

*********
Workout of the Day
RevAbs: Fire Up Your Abs

This is the final week of Phase I of the RevAbs Challenge! I can definitely tell a difference in my core strength.  Not only can I do more sit ups, but when I did some pull ups this morning I was able to do an "L" pull up for the first time ever. (An "L" pull up is when you hold your legs out in front of you so that your body is in an "L" position.)

No comments:

Post a Comment