expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, May 23, 2011

Monday Nutrition Tip of the Week: Crispy Tofu

When you're looking for a new way to fix tofu for dinner, which cook book do you turn to? Soybeans Today, perhaps? Or maybe Coagulated Bean Curd and You? Nope...I found my new favorite way to fix tofu in the good old Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book.


Who knew, right? I never would have thought the old red-and-white checkers would have a vegetarian streak in her. But I was flipping through the "Beans, Rice, & Grains" section when I spotted a recipe for Crispy Tofu and Vegetables. It's super easy to fix, and delicious to boot. 

This recipe includes directions on how to cook the vegetables along with the tofu, but I only follow the instructions on the crispy tofu part -- I just buy a bag of stir fry vegetables, cook them and put them over brown rice along with the crispy tofu. Here's the recipe:

Crispy Tofu and Vegetables

If you're scared of tofu (as I was for a long, long time), don't be. Buy a package of firm tofu, cut a slit in the top of the package, and drain out the water. Then open the package, take out the tofu and cut eight half-inch slices. Then marinate the slices in either soy or teriyaki sauce for about 15 minutes. Put a pile of corn meal and a few dashes of seasoned salt on a plate (the recipe doesn't call for the salt, but I highly recommend it), take the tofu out of its marinade and cover it in the cornmeal. Then cook it in a pan until it's light brown. 

You could adjust the corn meal "batter" for whatever flavors you like -- add some garlic salt, some paprika...anything that floats your boat! The tofu slices are great leftovers for lunch the next day. 

Drew likes the crispy tofu slices, too -- I think it reminds him of chicken nuggets. Try it this week! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

********

In other cooking news, I have a question: are you still using spaghetti sauce from a jar? If so, please put down the Prego and run from the Ragu.

For the sake of your own, and your family's, enjoyment in spaghetti, invest 30 minutes of your time in making your own very simple sauce with this Better Homes and Gardens recipe for tomato basil sauce. I made it last night with fresh basil from my herb garden, and it was fantastic. If you have this cook book (and I'm betting you do), flip a few pages back to the recipe for meatballs and make those, too. Don't forget the wheat noodles! Yum.

(Aside: I would make a terrible food writer. My food adjectives range from "great!" to "fantastic!" to "really good!" to "wow! yummy!" I'm aware of the problem and will consult with Roget prior to my next recipe post.) Here's the recipe:

Tomato Basil Sauce
In a medium saucepan cook 3/4 cup finely chopped onion and 2 cloves garlic, minced, in small amount of olive oil until onion is tender. 

Stir in two 14-ounce cans of diced Italian tomatoes, one can tomato paste, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar,  1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. 

Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened. (Add water if sauce is too thick.) 

Stir in 1/4 cup snipped fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed. Cook about 5 minutes more or until of desired consistency.

*********
Workout of the Day
RevAbs: Power Intervals 2

No comments:

Post a Comment