expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's What's for Dinner

When I'm at a complete loss as to what to fix for dinner, that usually means it turns into a "veggie night." (Or my other go-to, brinner.) I went for the veggies tonight:

Nice and colorful!
On the left we have a spinach salad with tomatoes, red onions, walnuts, and raspberry vinaigrette (ugh! I just remembered I was going to put mushrooms on it, too! Forgot.)

At 5 o'clock we've got the yellow squash and zucchini from the garden.

And the top right is mashed sweet potatoes. I bake them in the oven first, then remove the skins and mash them up with a fork. I put a tiny amount of butter, about a quarter cup of applesauce, and copious amounts of cinnamon in them, and stir. The applesauce is a low-fat way to moisten up the potatoes and add a little more sweetness to them. It's a better option than a whole bunch of butter!

One person who missed this dinner tonight was Zach. And by missed it I mean that he wasn't here because he had to be at a JV football game, but also because he's become a big fan of veggie night. When we got married I would never have thought he'd let me serve dinner that didn't include a piece of meat with it, but he has really come around in the veggie department.

I think the thing I like about veggie night is that I can pile my plate as high as can be and not feel bad about it. You can't get too many veggies, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment