expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Freezer Full of Venison!

This is a happy autumn site at our household:


It means Zach was able to shoot a deer, and I don't have to shop for ground beef for about six months! This doe was about 83 pounds, and netted 43 one-pound packages of ground venison, along with several packages of backstrap and cutlets (that I must confess: I chicken fry. We all have our vices, right?).

Many people cringe at the thought of making dinner out of Bambi, but I'm not one of them. There are several reasons why, the first being that we can process a deer for about $2.50 per pound, while ground beef is running about $3.80 per pound these days.

Secondly, venison has about one-third the fat of beef. Here are the rest of the specs for a three-ounce serving of venison:

  • 130 calories
  • 26 grams protein
  • 2 grams fat
  • 67 mg cholesterol
And finally, venison is as free range as it gets. No hormones or antibiotics there. Zach and his Dad set up feeders and plant gardens to attract the deer, and other than that they're eating what they find in the forest.

I use ground venison in anything I'd use regular ground beef: tacos, spaghetti, meat loaf, chili, hamburgers, etc. Venison burgers do require a little seasoning and TLC, because the meat is so lean. Ordinarily I use 80/20 chuck for burgers, because fatty meat makes the best, juiciest burgers! But when we have venison, I use it whenever and wherever I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment