expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, October 14, 2010

How Beachbody Coaching Landed Me in Jail

I've been a Team Beachbody Coach for about three weeks now. When I signed up, I had no idea how proactive I would be. I'm not a salesperson, and I don't make a habit of striking up long conversations with people I don't know. I do, however, really like P90X and talking about food.

So, it turns out that I am completely eaten up over this job. I cannot stop thinking about who I can talk to, what I'm going to say, and what I can do to help them get into the habit of exercise and eating well. Zach and I pulled together the Wednesday Workouts at his school in practically no time, and hardly one workout is finished before we've planned the next. It's giving me fresh motivation in my own exercise and eating routine, too.

The only negative thing I've experienced so far is that I am not sleeping well due to my inability to turn off my brain at night. I am compulsively composing emails and speeches in my head, and have to get up and write it down in the hope that I can stop thinking about it!

It was one of these late-night brainstorming sessions that landed me in jail.

On Tuesday I decided to visit the police headquarters in our town to see if there was any possibility of getting a group of police officers together to do P90X. It was early, and the only open door in the facility was at the jail. That wasn't really what I had in mind, but since that was my only way in, I went up to the check in desk and asked if there was anyone in charge of fitness and exercise for the officers. The lady told me that would be the Captain, and someone was in his office right now, but he could talk to me in a few minutes. Fantastic! I thought. And I also thought, please don't let this guy be 400 pounds.

Captain Wilson came out to the front and led me to his office. On the way, I gave him the speech I threw together in my head the night before (with a few adjustments made in the minutes spent on the bench in jail).

"I'm a Coach for a company called Beachbody. They're the ones that do P90X," I said. "I'm looking for people who want to get in great shape, and I immediately thought of the police department because they are going to benefit from being fit, and having a group doing this program is ideal because they can challenge each other." (Big breath.) "I just really feel like this country is in pretty big trouble as far as fitness is concerned. I think maybe if we get some leaders in the community who can set an example by taking care of themselves, maybe it will start to have an impact on everybody else."

The poor guy finally got to speak. "I'm completely with you," he said. (Phew.) "I'm a proponent of implementing mandatory quarterly fitness tests for the officers," he said. "I have guys who leave patrol for the desk and immediately put on 25, 30 pounds. I'm trying to get them to realize that they need to take care of themselves."

He took me down to the department's weight room, which was decked out with treadmills, weight machines, a full set of dumbbells, and two flat screen TVs. "We pay guys to work out for either the first 30 minutes of their shift, or the last 30 minutes," he said. "But a lot of them just don't do it or aren't interested. And it's really tough to eat well on the job, too." "It's hard to eat well anywhere," I said.

We talked for about 25 minutes, and he took a brochure, DVD, and my business card. "I want to make myself available to talk to anyone who's interested, or doing a presentation, or letting officers borrow our DVDs to see what the program is like," I said. Captain Wilson said he'd be in touch, and my self-imposed trip to jail was over.

That afternoon I got an email from the Captain asking a question about Shakeology. I'm hoping to get some sample Shakeology packs to take him, because those shakes would be a great alternative to Jack In the Box or Chicken Express (just two of the many fast food drive throughs we have in town). A $4 shake packed with more than 70 healthy nutrients, vitamins, and minerals knocks the socks off the Happy Meal that refuses to decompose.

I'm not sure where else Beachbody Coaching will take me, but I'm hoping I get to go back to jail really soon to talk some officers into getting "supersonic-X-style-fit."

No comments:

Post a Comment