expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Tony Horton Kitchen

Tony Horton has a brand new venture called Tony Horton Kitchen, which offers "delicious, nutrient-rich meals delivered to your door" each week for about $245.


You guys know that I'm a huge fan of Tony, and I have no doubt that the food from his kitchen is delicious, particularly if Missy Costello of Karma Chow is involved (I can't tell if she is). But I'm a little conflicted about this.

On one hand, America obviously has a huge food problem. Most people see the inside of a restaurant more often than a grocery store, and when they're in the grocery store they hang out in Death Valley, a.k.a. the center aisles. On the off chance that a vegetable is purchased, many have no idea how to prepare it besides frying it beyond recognition.So in that vein, Tony Horton Kitchen is solving a problem.

But on the other hand, relying on prepared food (no matter how healthy) is not teaching you anything about how to identify and prepare your own food. Is self-reliance in the grocery store and kitchen not a popular goal anymore?

To many people cooking is something you watch on T.V., not something you actually perform on a regular basis. I worry that this generation of children will have no idea that the kitchen is supposed to be used for anything other than holding take-out containers and heating up leftovers from the doggy bag.

I know, I know. I'm a stereotypical stay-at-home-mom who likes to cook and has all kinds of time on her hands. I'm beyond blessed, I know. But I want my kids to know that the best food doesn't come in a box, and it's rarely delivered to your front door. In fact, it doesn't even come in a container. It doesn't have a label, and it's really colorful.


That's why I like the Ultimate Reset so much. It's one part cleanse and nine parts crash course in healthy cooking. It teaches you how to go in the grocery store, find healthy ingredients, and prepare them into some of the most delicious dishes you've ever whipped up. It makes you appreciate the time, effort, and care that cooking requires.

If cooking is going out of style, at least organizations like Tony's are providing a healthy option. I just sincerely hope that we haven't completely given up on using the kitchen ourselves.

**************
Workout of the Day
Insanity: Fast and Furious and Asylum: Relief

This was a rest day from P90X2's P.A.P. workouts, and I needed it! Those workouts are so brutal. I am glad we've only planned to do two weeks of phase three before moving on to the marathon training schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment