expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Beet Chips

I don't buy chips much anymore, but if I do, they are usually Terra Chips.


Have you had these before? They are super good! There are different flavors, but I like the "Sweets & Beets," which are thinly sliced sweet potato and beet chips. Although Terra likes to boast that you get a full serving of veggies when you eat these chips...don't kid yourself. They're still chips. You still get a lot of sodium and oil along with that serving of veggies.

Anyhow, although we eat raw beets all the time, it didn't occur to me that I could make homemade beet chips until I picked up the latest issue of Sunflower Market's August 2012 newsletter. (Side note: my beloved Sunflower Market has now merged with Sprouts. The store seems largely the same, but I really hope they continue to produce their little magazine thing. It always has great recipes in it and good stories, too.)

On page 6 they show you how to make kale, beet, and sweet potato chips. There's not even a recipe, really; you just slice them nice and thin (or in the case of kale, tear the leaves up a bit, see post here), coat thinly with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, dried thyme and oregano. Bake them at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. I flipped them partway through to encourage them to crisp up but not burn.

Here's what they looked like before they went in the oven:


And before I show you the "after" photo, I'll let George Costanza tell you about a little phenomenon called "shrinkage."

 "I don't know how you walk around with those things." Best. Line. Ever.

 I sliced all those beets, and here's what came out of the oven:

Sorry...for some reason this photo would not rotate.
Geez! I would have to slice about nine beets to get enough beet chips to feed a crowd. Shrinkage aside, though, these were really delicious! They tasted just like the Terra chips. Pleasantly salty and crispy with a sweet taste. I really liked them, and so did the kids.

I'm not sure I'll be making beet chips on a regular basis, but it's always fun to experiment to see if you can re-create something you usually buy at the store.

**********
Workout of the Day
P90X2 Core - Recovery week! I need it.



No comments:

Post a Comment