expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, July 16, 2012

Bananas for Yonanas

About a year ago I started hearing about something called Yonanas, a little machine that uses nothing but frozen fruit to make creamy soft serve "ice cream." Tony Horton and Missy Costello raved about it on Facebook, saying that the ice cream was delicious and healthy.

I did a little research on it and read pretty much nothing but good stuff. You can buy it online or at your local Target, Best Buy, or Bed, Bath and Beyond. I know that because I had to visit all three to find one! They were sold out at both Target and Best Buy.

 

Why it took a whole year for me to buy one of these babies is beyond me. The kids and I got one for Zach for Father's Day, and it is a big hit around here. Kate asks for "Nonanas" all the time, and any time we get some new fruit Drew asks if it would be good in Yonanas.

All you do is feed frozen bananas and other frozen fruit of your choice down the shoot of a food processor-like machine. No other sugar, no milk, no cream. Just fruit! And if you want to get creative with it you can add other flavor enhancers like peanut butter or chocolate. It comes with a recipe book full of ideas, and the website has even more as creative people come up with new things to press through the machine.

Here's a video showing how it works. Very, very easy:


The first flavor we fixed was Peanut Butter and Jelly, and it was delicious. Next up was Pumpkin Spice, which required a little prep work to make a pumpkin puree made with pure canned pumpkin, vanilla, and cinnamon. I froze the puree into ice cubes and then fed it through the machine after the bananas. It was my favorite so far, but I have a thing for pumpkin. Then we did Blueberry Peach Yonanas, and it was pretty great, too.

It's fifty bucks, and it will change the way you shop for bananas at the grocery store. I used to get all huffy when I'd go to the store and the bananas would be overripe. Now I get all excited and load up the cart with the "cheetah" bananas that I can take home, peel, and freeze for our next batch of Yonanas. (I'm also digging having so many frozen bananas around for my Shakeology.)

Love this machine! I hope the creator makes a million jillion dollars off of it.

***********
Workout of the Day
P90X2 V Sculpt
We're on the third week of Phase 2 in our second round of P90X2. In October Zach and I will run our first half marathons (Hah! I just typed "marathongs" accidentally. Now that would be some kind of race!), and we are mixing just a bit of running into the schedule now. Once P90X2 is over, we'll move back into three days a week of Les Mills Pump with three days of running/cardio: one day of high intensity intervals, one day of tempo running (at a distance of about 3 miles), and one long run on the weekends. 

My goal is to build my strength and endurance without running my knees into the ground before the race. I've gotten to a point where I don't enjoy putting so many miles in on the road, and through research and personal experience we've found that it's not necessary to run mini half-marathons each week to get ready for the race. You can use a mix of cross training and running to get your body ready to "go" for more than two hours. That's the plan, anyway! We'll see exactly how that plan pans out on October 7...

No comments:

Post a Comment