expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Spring Break Camping Trip: A Retrospective

Last week was Spring Break in Texas, and we took advantage of both the break and some fantastic weather to go camping with the kids at Copper Breaks and Palo Duro Canyon State Parks in the Texas panhandle. It was such a fantastic trip.

It marked the first time we took out the A-liner, also known as "The Triangle Camper."


Zach and I are so irrationally enamored with this camper. All around us that week were giant RVs and trailers, each one bigger than the next. And here's this tiny, funny-shaped camper that requires us to sleep very close to a little girl with tonsils the size of quarters who snores like a freight train. (No matter! I brought ear plugs.)

We got funny looks and several interested visitors stopped by to comment on the camper or ask how it worked. At Copper Breaks we ran into a couple from Wyoming who had a granddaddy A-Liner that came complete with a shower. We bonded.

Anyway, this thing is such a pleasure to put up, live in, put down, and pull home. Just easy all around.

This one's being submitted to the A-Liner fan page!

The kids did so well hiking the trails at Palo Duro Canyon. They explored caves, climbed up a mountain, and generally acted like mountain goats wherever they went.



Since the Tough Mudder is less than two weeks away, Zach and I wanted to make sure to get some running and biking in during the break. We traded off watching the kids so we could get some early morning trail runs done during the trip.

One afternoon Zach kicked off the mountain biking for the season with a ride to the Lighthouse and Castle formations deep in the canyon. He came back completely exhilarated from the ride and hike, where he was able to climb to the top of the Castle. He said it was awesome...but he had forgotten the camera! Since I was 1) completely jealous of the mountain biking he got to do and 2) pictures needed to be taken from the top of the Castle, I set out to match his trip the next morning.

All I can say is that mountain biking is so stinking fun. I just love it. There is something about guiding your bike over the rocks and hills and holding on for dear life on the downhill slides that is just the best. And biking in Palo Duro Canyon? Beautiful.





After about an hour I made it to the base of the Lighthouse and Castle formations. I parked my bike and started scrambling up the very steep hill. The red arrow is pointing to where I ended up when I was done.


It was windy, and I was nervous. But I was bound and determined to get to the top and take some pictures.


When I scrambled down from the Castle, a woman and her daughter from Minnesota took my picture at the base of the Lighthouse.

Wish the lady had gotten a little more of the rocks and blue sky,
but beggars can't be photography snobs.

Even though we had an almost seven hour ride home, we weren't anxious to leave on the last day. Instead we took the kids on one last little hiking trip up to a cave, which they maneuvered with ease.

Such a great trip. We can't wait to go back, and can't wait till the kids are old enough to mountain bike. We intend to be right there with them.


If you live within a day's drive of Palo Duro Canyon, it is definitely worth the trip. It's much more accessible and friendly than the Grand Canyon, which to me is equal parts beautiful and dangerous. I don't worry about my kids plunging to their death at Palo Duro Canyon.

**********
Workout of the Day
P90X2 Core

No comments:

Post a Comment