expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, March 26, 2012

Going for the Gold: Our 2012 Garden

Let the hand-wringing begin!

Am I watering too much? Am I watering too little? Is the soil not right? Is it too cold? Too hot? Is ANYTHING going to grow? OK...it's growing. Should I thin the plants? Are bugs gonna eat everything alive? Should I fertilize? How much? RABBITS GET OUT OF MY GARDEN!!!

As much as I like it, our garden makes me just a little bit crazy. But it's time to plant so I'm back for more, ready to see what's going to be a hit this year and what's going to fizzle.

We're going for the gold this year and have jam-packed that garden with all kinds of good stuff. We've nixed the green beans this year (I never have much luck with them, and nobody really enjoys them but me), and have added spinach, kale, broccoli, and cauliflower. I planted a row of chives down the center of the whole thing because I read their smell keeps pests away.

We've also had onions and potatoes in the ground for a couple weeks, along with a short row of beets. Rounding out the garden is zucchini, yellow squash, and butternut squash. I've saved space for three tomato plants and possibly some peppers if I'm so moved. (Haven't had much luck with my pepper plants the past few years.)

And oh yeah! Cantaloupe. Three mounds of cantaloupe, because for some reason we've been able to grow 12-pound (not an exaggeration) cantaloupe each year we've had a garden at this house.

It doesn't look like much now, but I'm hoping in a month or two I'll barely be able to wade through this plot. I'll keep you posted on its progress.



Workout of the Day
Les Mills Pump Revolution




No comments:

Post a Comment