expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Monday Nutrition Tip of the Week: Spaghetti Squash with Almonds

I cook squash all year long. In the summer it's zucchini and yellow squash; fall and winter bring on the butternut, the acorn, the spaghetti. I'll put 'em in soup, I'll bake 'em face down in a pan full of water, I'll dice and roast 'em in olive oil. They're my favorite vegetable ever.

Spaghetti squash is the squash I fix the least, but not because it's not good. It's fantastic as fake noodles with tomato sauce (something you carb avoiders ought to look into). Last week I ran into this recipe in Real Simple magazine, and let me tell you -- I'm going to be making a lot more spaghetti squash. This was delicious! And very simple, too.

Here's what a spaghetti squash looks like:


And here's what it looks like prepared:

Courtesy Real Simple magazine
As I mixed up the dressing of lime juice, honey, cumin, and olive oil that goes with this dish, I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. But when it mixes up with the squash, toasted almonds, and green onions...it's outta this world. Isn't it time you branched out and tried some squash that looks like noodles? I think it is.

Spaghetti Squash with Almonds
  • 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • scallions, thinly sliced

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Place the squash on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the cut sides with 1 tablespoon of the oil, and turn cut-side down. Roast until tender, 40 to 50 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, spread the almonds on a second rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together the lime juice, honey, cumin, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
  4. With a fork, gently scrape the strands of squash flesh into the bowl and toss with the lime juice mixture. Sprinkle with the almonds and scallions.

********
So, here's my review of The Spiral Diner in Dallas. LOVED IT! The food is fresh and original, the servers are delightfully weird/hip, and the locale is funky. I had the "Sweet Luv'Us Hummus Wrap," which consists of: "a layer of baked sweet potato, a layer of hummus, broccoli, cucumber, avocado, salad greens, and spicy walnuts. your choice of tahini or ranch dressing, all wrapped up in a flour tortilla." It made me consider keeping sweet potato puree around 24/7 to use on a wrap whenever I want.

Zach had "Ramsey's Perfect Protein Platter: black beans and quinoa cooked together with our famous homemade salsa, a perfect blend of spices topped off with avocado and tahini dressing." I coveted his meal. I took many, many bites of it.

A couple things I noticed at the vegan cafe. We had a late lunch, 2:00 or so. Still, almost every table was filled. Most people drank water. The portions were small by "restaurant standards," but that's a good thing. It was satisfying without making you miserable. No food/salt hangover! We will definitely be back.

*******
Workout of the Day
 P90X One on One Vol. 3: P.A.P. (Post Activation Potentiation)



1 comment:

  1. I just made this and it is very delicious. Do you have any recipe for butternut squash?

    ReplyDelete