expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, February 4, 2013

Meatless Monday: Butternut Squash and Kale

Today I'm posting a recipe that is a marriage of two things I've become obsessed with: butternut squash and kale.

My butternut squash obsession is easily understood. Aside from having to track down a hack saw to cut the thing, butternut squash is so yummy and versatile. If you're feeling lazy, just cut it in half and bake it face down in some water, then mash it up with some nutmeg. If you're feeling a little more adventurous, dice it and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cinnamon and roast it in the oven. Got all kinds of time on your hands? Turn it into a soup. Might I suggest butternut squash and apple soup?

But kale...how can you be obsessed with kale? Most people know it as the garnish that holds the fruit and vegetables at parties catered by hotels.


See it? It's that green, curly-looking lettuce under the cucumbers. Yup, it's edible! And not only is it edible, it's about the number one food you can get your hands on. 

It's high in fiber, beta-carotene, vitamin C, folic acid, vitamin B6, manganese, and potassium. It's a source of well-absorbed calcium, which prevents osteoporosis, and all of its antioxidants put together make it a major player in fighting cancer, heart disease, and other chronic diseases. It's good stuff. 

It also tastes like really tough grass. Or so I thought the first few times I had it.

My neighbor Susie once told me that there is this thing called metabolic reformation, which is a phenomenon that occurs when you start eating super-healthy food. At first you don't like the taste of the healthy stuff and find it kind of disgusting. But when you keep eating it, and your body is happy about it, then you start craving that food. That is the only explanation for what happened with me and kale.

I always read how good it is for you, but I didn't start fixing kale regularly until the Ultimate Reset. We had kale in eggs, steamed kale, kale in salads, kale, kale, kale. With a side of kale. Once our three-week reset was over, I found myself really wanting to make myself kale and eggs for breakfast.


And ever since then I don't go a week without having kale and eggs, or steamed kale as a side for dinner, or kale in my Shakeology. (Note that I actually prefer spinach in my shake as it dissolves better. Kale makes for a "chewier" shake that I'm not necessarily a fan of, but Zach likes it so if he's making the shake that day, then I get kale. He even puts the stalks in!)

A couple weeks ago The Pioneer Woman featured a recipe on her site called Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas. I had never thought of that combination before, but I was ready to give it a shot. The first time I made this I went ahead and made the quesadillas, but it occurred to me that the cheese and tortillas were extraneous because the squash and kale made a great meal in and of itself. 


You could serve it with a side of cous cous or quinoa, or a crusty loaf of bread. This is a new favorite for me, for sure!

Here's how to make it (recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman's):

Butternut Squash and Kale
Ingredients
1/2 whole Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded, And Diced.
3 TB Olive Oil, divided use
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Black Pepper To Taste
1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder (more To Taste)
1 bunch Kale, Leaves Torn, Stalks Discarded

Preparation Instructions
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add squash and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Cook for several minutes, turning gently with a spatula, until squash is deep golden brown and tender (but not falling apart.) Remove to a plate and set aside.

In the same skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and add in the kale. Toss it around with tongs and cook it for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the cooked squash and gently toss together. Enjoy!

************
Workout of the Day
P90X: YogaX

After running 50 miles on Saturday, Zach determined that a recovery week is in order. 
More on his race later, but suffice it to say that he made it within his goal time, and it was a pretty crazy experience. I was honored to have been there to see him do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment