expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, January 21, 2013

Meatless Monday Episode 2: Return of the Veggie

My son is in the throes of a Star Wars obsession. He got episodes 4, 5, and 6 for Christmas, and we've seen the trilogy no fewer than three times each in the month we've owned them. I like the movies okay, but I really wasn't prepared for all the questions that come with a Star Wars obsession.

"What's your favorite droid, Mom?"

"Hey Mom, what's hyperdrive?"

"Mom, do you think hyperspace is where they go when they're in hyperdrive?"

"Where's the Dagobah System?"

"Who was the original owner of the Millenium Falcon?"

"Mom, which do you like better, R2-D2 or R2-Q2?"



"Mom, when I grow up I think I'll name my kids Luke, Leia, and Anakin." 

"You'll have to take that up with your wife, son." 
"Will she know what Star Wars is?" 
"If you're marrying her, then I imagine she will."

Today, in honor of Star Wars, Meatless Monday, and a rocking new recipe I fixed last Friday night, we're having Episode 2: Return of the Veggie.

I'm still experimenting with Rip's recipes from The Engine 2 Diet. So far there hasn't been a bad one! In fact, in the midst of eating this meal, Zach and I both declared it to be in our top three favorite meals.

The flavors in this dish complement each other so well. It's flavorful, filling, and over-the-top healthy! And one of the best parts is that I breezed in from an afternoon at the park and had this whipped up in about 15 minutes (give or take the five minutes I had to wait for the sweet potato to cool).

Give this a spot in your Meatless Monday rotation. Shoot, give it a spot any day of the week!
Wish I had a photo, but we ate it too fast.


Rip’s Sweet Potato Bowl

Ingredients:

1 large cooked sweet potato, skin removed, cut into cubes
2 mangoes, peeled, seeded, and cut into cubes
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime
Balsamic vinegar to taste

Instructions:

Warm sweet potatoes in microwave if using chilled leftovers. (I baked a sweet potato in the microwave for about six minutes. You want it to be soft enough to cut easily, but not so soft that it turns to mush.)

Place generous portion of sweet potatoes into large serving bowl.

Top with mangoes, bell pepper, black beans, avocado, and cilantro. (NOTE: I did not have any mangoes, so I substituted canned, cubed pineapple. DELICIOUS!)

Drizzle with lime juice and vinegar, stir gently, and serve.

I served it over brown rice, but you could use quinoa -- or just serve by itself!

*************
Workout of the Day
Les Mills Combat 60



No comments:

Post a Comment