expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, January 28, 2013

Meatless Monday: Black Bean Tacos

My son and daughter are obsessed with these black bean tacos. When I tell them we're having black bean tacos, they jump up and down like I told them it was Mac 'N Cheese night.

I remember the first time I made them last May when Zach and I were doing the Ultimate Reset. Zach and I were only allowed to have one measly taco, while Drew went on to have three. Hmph.

Since then Drew continues to load up on these tacos, and so do we. Kate scrapes her beans and rice out of the taco and eats it separate from the taco shell, but I'm not about to complain about it; she's eating, right?

The one component of these tacos that you're probably unfamiliar with is the Bragg's Liquid Aminos, and in my opinion it's the ingredient that absolutely makes this dish.


Liquid Aminos is kind of like soy sauce, but it doesn't taste like soy sauce -- it's just the same consistency and color. And it's a complete protein. Weird, but just trust me and head out to your local health store and get some because it is GOOD and you can also use it in my super favorite soup EVER, Zuchhini Cashew Soup. It's also good on salads, rice, stir fries...whatever.



Ultimate Reset Black Bean and Rice Tacos
Ingredients
¾ cup cooked brown rice
½ cup canned low-sodium black beans
¼ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
⅛ tsp. ground chili powder
1 pinch ground cumin
¼ tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. Bragg® Liquid Aminos
Himalayan salt (to taste)

Directions
While rice is cooking, heat beans gently in saucepan until very hot. Drain and return to pan. Add olive oil, spices, Bragg Liquid Aminos, and Himalayan salt. Stir well. Gently fold beans into cooked rice. Serves 1.

For kicks you can add some diced tomatoes or corn to the taco/rice mixture, or serve with guacamole. During the Ultimate Reset the side to this dish was steamed kale, which may sound odd to you (it did to me), but it was very good. I continue to serve steamed kale as a side to this, and pretty much anything else that looks like it needs steamed kale. And what DOESN'T look like it needs steamed kale?

***************
Workout of the Day
Les Mills Combat: Upper Body Blowout

Why do I love this workout so much? Yesterday was yoga day, which meant no Combat. I ran around wanting to box all day and singing songs from the workouts. I think I have an addiction!

Saturday Drew and I did a 30-minute Combat workout together, and he had a lot of fun. I had fun showing off my jump kick -- he said, "Wow, Mom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment