expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, September 17, 2012

Lentil Lime Salad

It's been more than three months since Zach and I finished the Beachbody Ultimate Reset, and I have not stopped fixing recipes from the plan yet!

Lentil lime salad is a dish that I was not crazy about the first time around, but something about it made me want to fix it again. I knew that with a few tweaks it could be great, and now it's a staple for lunches around here!

Lentil-Lime Salad

The key with lentils is to cook them to the texture that you like. It's a fine line between al dente (to borrow a pasta term) and mush, and the first time I cooked lentils I crossed over into mush. It wasn't pretty. But now I know that the correct amount of water is 1.5 cups to one cup of dried lentils, and the time is about 20 minutes. I sample the lentils before I take them off the stove just to be sure they're the right texture, and then when they're done I don't let them sit on the stove for long.

I'm such a fan of the flavors of lime and cumin mixed together, and this dish makes use of both. Throw in cilantro and Bragg's Liquid Aminos and I could eat the whole bowl in one serving.

Lentil Lime Salad

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked green lentils
  • ½ cup grated raw carrot
  • ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1½ tsp. sesame oil (or more, to taste)
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (or more, to taste)
  • Bragg® Liquid Aminos or Himalayan salt (to taste)
  • ¼ tsp. ground cumin (or more, to taste)
  • Herbal seasoning (to taste; optional)

Directions
Cook lentils until tender, but don't overcook. (Or use low-sodium canned lentils.) Add carrots and stir. Stir oil, lime juice, salt, and spices together in a small bowl, then gently stir into the lentil mixture. Let sit, covered, in refrigerator for 2 hours. Adjust seasonings if needed. Even better the next day! Serves 1.
Nutrition
  • 320 calories
  • 8 g fat
  • 1 g saturated fat
  • 0 mg cholesterol
  • 50 mg sodium
  • 48 g carbohydrate
  • 17 g fiber
  • 19 g protein
  • 944 mg potassium

*************
Workout of the Day
Les Mills Pump: Pump and Shred

Y'all, I ran 13.1 miles this weekend! I was not planning on running a half-marathon distance before my actual half marathon on Oct. 7, but this weekend down at the land when I was faced with turning around at mile 6 for a "down and back" run vs. just running a full loop, I chose the full loop. And I was pooped afterward! I was pretty much done the whole day after that. But we had run on an empty stomach with nothing but water to drink, so I'm confident that on race day I will have energy to spare. We'll wake up early and eat breakfast, and then drink some E&E, which makes a world of difference for me. Just 3 weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment