expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Bunch of Unrelated Thoughts

Last night I attended a presentation at my neighbor's house about Juice Plus, a whole food based nutrition supplement. It's in pill form, but it contains the dehydrated juice from a multitude of vegetables, fruits, and grains. It was a very compelling presentation that reminded me just how important fruits and vegetables really are to our bodies.

There was one portion of Terri's presentation that I have to share. Eight years ago for the purposes of the presentations she gives all over the country, she purchased some fast food french fries, a hamburger, and a doughnut. She keeps them in a plastic bag in her trunk. She brought these things out, and they looked EXACTLY THE SAME as the fries and burger that you could pick up at McDonald's today. It was...gross. And enlightening. Her comment was that if any self-respecting bacteria wouldn't attack that food, then neither should we.

******************************************************************

Yesterday afternoon I took the kids to the park. Now that the kids are a little older, I can plant myself on the bench and enjoy the afternoon while they run wild on the playground. As I sat there, I saw an older couple (maybe 45 or 50) holding hands and walking over to the basketball court. They proceeded to stretch, run wind sprints, and then shoot baskets while they talked and laughed.

How awesome is that? How many couples, when faced with a free afternoon, decide to head up to the park to shoot hoops?

*****************************************************************

Last night I fixed quesadillas for dinner. And like any time I fix Mexican food, I want chips. I stopped making the chip aisle a grocery store destination quite a while back, so I usually don't have a bag of chips lying around the house. But I got a really good idea from The Sneaky Chef, Missy Chase Lapine. (I know I better give credit where credit is due with that lady, cause if she'll sue the Seinfelds, she'll certainly sue me.)

I take about 4 corn tortillas (I always keep a bag of them in the freezer--they thaw really quickly), cover them with olive oil and seasoning salt, and bake them in a 425-degree oven for 6 minutes per side. They are really good (and healthy with the olive oil omega 3 fats), they satisfy my craving for chips, and we finish the whole batch in one sitting. No bag of chips left to put in your pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment