expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, October 1, 2012

So, an English major walks into an Anatomy class...

Should I pursue my personal trainer certification?

PROS:
- Greater confidence in my knowledge level
- I'm interested in learning more about the mechanics of training
- Others will have greater confidence in my knowledge
- Possibility of training out of our home
- Possibility of earning other certifications
- I have the time to pursue it now that kids are in school

CONS:
- It's gonna take a lot of time to study
- It costs a few hundred dollars to do it.
- The test is probably kinda hard

People, it's my personal belief that time, money, and a "hard test" are invalid reasons not to pursue something that will make you better, more knowledgeable, and more marketable. So a couple weeks ago I pulled the trigger on becoming an ACE Certified Personal Trainer.


Ever since then I've been awash in pictures like these:


And dreaming about terms such as iliotibial band, flexion, extension, appendicular skeleton and on and on.

As an English major who shunned science classes like the black plague, am I a little nervous about all this anatomy and physiology? Yes. Am I enjoying this new adventure? Yes.

I've got about 12 weeks to master this material...20 if I get scared and want to stretch it out a bit. But the plan is to take the test at the end of the year and have my personal training certification to start 2013.

If you need me between then and now, I'll be studying the difference between fibrous, cartilaginous, and synovial joints. Wish me luck!

*************
Workout of the Day
P90X Core Syergistics

T minus 6 days till the Tyler Half Marathon!
The friends who we are staying with the night before kindly offered to fix chicken fried deer steak the night before the race. I politely declined saying that I was concerned about the welfare of the course should I run it mere hours after eating chicken fried venison. Maybe after the race when I'm nice and close to a bathroom...

1 comment:

  1. I have really been considering getting my cert as well. As a sympathetic English major, I share your concern for scientific type stuff. Although maybe I can finally use those four years of Latin that I took in High School. I will be interested to hear how it goes and how you like the Ace cert program. Good luck on the half marathon!

    ReplyDelete